Thursday, June 4, 2009

Gank

So the other day, I wrote a blog about Heath falling in the store. He broke one of his teeth, but I decided it didn't look bad enough to go through the hassle of dealing with a dentist.

Yesterday, another hunk of the tooth came out, leaving a very jagged, raggedy edge and a general really disgusting look.

So I had a dentist appointment scheduled for myself today anyway, so I called them and asked if they could take a look at Heath's teeth while I was in. I took Dax and Quinn over to my aunt Mary's house to terrorize her for a while, and off to the dentist we went.

They said he had an exposed nerve in the broken tooth. Ouch! Heath had not complained about it at all, and slept fine last night. He must have a super high tolerance for pain.

(Although he did get in the medicine yesterday, and possibly overdose on Benadryl. Well, I mean he may or may not have tried to overdose--poison control said the dose wasn't enough to do any damage, but still, I kind of think now that his tooth was hurting, he didn't want to say anything and decided to medicate himself)

Anyway, my dentist referred him to a kid dentist (a dentist for kids, I mean, not Doogie Howser, DDS) and the kid dentist recommended yanking the broken tooth out. And that's exactly what he did. I can't think that dentistry has really changed all that much since Little House on the Prairie days, because pretty much the dentist had me hold him down, got out the pliers, and ganked the thing out.

Heath was a trooper. He's always eager to please and wouldn't want to do anything as rude as throw a fit. He was very much a little gentleman about the whole procedure.

So the tooth fairy is coming tonight for Heath's front tooth, about 4 years ahead of schedule. He's got a cute little gap-toothed smile now, and will have for quite a while!

One of the only good things is that when the kids are running, and I think they ought not to be, I can warn them "Do you want to fall down and knock your teeth out?" I think that's a good threat to have in the arsenal of mothering threats.

1 comment:

  1. I freaking love your blog! LOVE IT!!

    Poor Heath!! I feel so bad for the lil guy. I can't believe he didn't throw a fit. I must have done something wrong because Belle is 8 and throws a fit when she has to get her teeth cleaned or get the finger prick at the doctor's office. I'm thinking of reading her this story....

    Ann :)

    ReplyDelete