Sunday, June 14, 2009

I would so live on Gilligan's Island

Are there other people like me? Who grew up hoping they'd get stranded on an island somewhere and have to forage for themselves and create their own new society, a la Gilligan's Island?



I bet there are, the proof being the fact that Survivor is now on about season 73.

I would so live on Gilligan's Island. I would totally share a coconut hut with the Professor. I heart smart guys.


Actually, this blog isn't really about survival skills on a tropical island, but since I started with it I have to get a few more Gilligan's Island thoughts out of my head first. One, did you know I'm related to the guy who played Thurston Howell III? He's my great-grandma's first cousin. He kind of looked like my grandpa, even. Definitely a family resemblence---and since my son Heath kind of looks like my Grandpa's baby pictures, that means that Heath also looks like Thurston Howell III (and Heath TOTALLY makes this face when he's thinking about whether or not he should start to cry).



And two, if I was setting up my new society on a secluded island, you know what societal custom would be the first to be tossed out the window? Shaving legs. I really hate to shave my legs, but society says I have to, so I do. When I get stranded on a desert island, or start a commune (it's really only a matter of time before the latter), shaving legs will be verboten. Seriously, I really hate to shave my legs.

Okay, on to the real subject of this blog: coconuts.

I have been preaching about my new discovery to people in real life, so I'm going to do it here in virtual life too. Coconut oil is AMAZING!

I bought some coconut oil because it's supposed to help with eczema, and my son Heath has a horrible case of it. I got it to lather on him, and to feed him (it's supposed to work from the inside and outside)

But I started messing around with it myself and made some great discoveries (with help from google and the search phrase "benefits of coconut oil".

1. You will have the softest hair ever if you soak your hair in coconut oil. Well, first you will have the greasiest hair, but then it will be soft after that. I rub a little bit in my hands to soften it up, then run my fingers through my hair. It makes my hair really greasy, but I leave it in for a few hours (tied up in a bun if I'm out running around or working out---and it smells delicious) When I shampoo it out, my hair is like silk afterwards! Much better than any conditioner I've ever tried!

2. Best. moisturizer. ever. I am not really into moisturizers and cleansers and all that. I was my face and that's kind of it (besides makeup) I just don't like the smell and feel of the chemical moisturizers. But I've been putting rubbing coconut oil everywhere, and my skin is so soft! Face, body, everywhere. Also, because I've been eating the coconut oil, I think my skin is already soft from the inside. For a few days, I didn't rub any of the coconut oil directly into my skin, but I noticed that my skin was way softer than it's usual dried out state.

3. Candy bar on a spoon. I read that cocout oil is a good appetite suppresant and can help in weight loss. It's totally just a bunch of fat, but apparently it's a special kind of fat---it makes you feel full, like fat is supposed to, but it isn't as easily stored in the body as other fats. I've been eating a tablespoon of coconut oil before meals to fill me up. To make it really yummy, I've been eating it in a form I call "candy bar on a spoon". I take a tablespoon of coconut oil, and then put some pieces of dark chocolate (which is good for you too) and like 5 almonds (protein and more healthy fats) on the spoon too. It totally tastes like an almond joy candy bar, and completely fills me up. It kills my craving for sweets too. It's kind of crazy, but it works.

All of this advice pretty much goes out the window, if you hate coconut, like 90% of the population seems to.

2 comments:

  1. I just sat down to research what to do with the jar of coconut oil I bought. Looks like I'll be slathering soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also been baking with it, and saute-ing with it, and I used it to grease the griddle when I made pancakes. It is like very multi-purpose!

    ReplyDelete