Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Butterfly of Birth

Retro blogging! I was reading through my old notebook diaries. This entry cracked me up.The more things change, the more they stay the same!

August 19, 1992

I have gotton no school shopping done. I love school shopping though. New supplies, new clothes...except I don't like my clothes size--size 12. and I weigh 145-150 lbs. The worst thing is I'm only 5'4"!

I do try to excercise a little everyday. Also I'm on a diet. Kind off. I'm afraid I haven't much willpower. Mainly my diet is trying to cut back on fats and meats. The trouble is Pattiey always makes really fatty foods and I can't say no, I'm on a diet because ever since I was a little girl Daddys been telling me to not diet until I REALLY need it. I don't think that he REALLY thinks I'm fat but I do and since he's not me I'm the one who really counts. Tonight we had Polish sausage. I had one sausage, half a glass of whole milk about 6 celery sticks and 2 cucumber slices.


So here I am, with this blog, and all the technology we now have, doing the exact same thing that I was doing 17 years ago...writing about how I want to lose weight. Too funny.

Also kind of sad. Kind of. I know the PC thing to say is that 13 year old girls (and 31 year old women) shouldn't feel the need to dwell on their bodies and obsess about their weights, and we should all be happy and accepting of our bodies Um, yeah, except...no. I'm not buying it. A little bit of body obsession is a good thing. In the times in my life when I haven't made weight loss and health a priority, I blew up like a zeppelin.

Whatever. I just thought this was pretty funny. And I totally love the fact that I weigh 8-13 lbs more than I did at 13 (my being 3 inches taller kind of cancels it out. What is a 1992 size 12 equivalent to in today's sizing? Maybe a 8? 6? Yes, I think I'm safe in saying I'm the same size I was at age 13. That is freaking fantastic. 13 year old Emilene would be very proud of 31 year old Emilene.

2 comments:

  1. OMG! I remember keeping notebooks upon notebooks of everything I ate and did to work it off; disgusting! I distinctly remember the day my scale reached 118 - GASP!!! ALMOST 120!!! I was so mad I literally tried to starve myself but realized I loved to eat too much for that. And, I did not make a very good bulimic because I hated puking more than starving!

    And now, I think what I wouldn't give to see 120! (Especially as my baby weight continues to creep up slowly but surely. Yikes!) THIS is one major reason I'm hoping I'm having a boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another reason I hate Weight Watchers---it's entirely based on writing down everything you eat and what you do to work it off! I have to do that to this day!

    (Weight Watchers totally does work though. I always have to go back and say that when I complain about hating it. Truly, truly a love/hate relationship)

    ReplyDelete