Monday, March 22, 2010

Eh

I'm over the romance title titles.

Well, what have I been up to? Runnings lots and eating not lots, pretty much. I weighed in again last week, losing 1.2 lbs. Good times.

The running is going well, my half marathon training. I just love running. Sometimes I get distracted and do other activities, then I go back to running and I'm all like "Why would I stop this?" Here's the thing with running. You either love it or hate it. No one "kind of likes" running.

I love it. It's unexplainable to the haters. Basically with running, you can just completely detach the physical from the mental. A lot of exercise wants to connect the mind and body. Not running. You can completely turn off any sort of body awareness and just let your body go on autopilot and be alone inside your head with your thoughts. It's relaxing and meditative to me.

So anyway, yeah, I'm all excited about running. But my excitement about running has diminished my excitement about yoga. The two interests really don't mesh together well, so I've kind of backed off on the yoga front.

The thing with yoga is that it is amazing for increasing your flexibility. The thing with running is that flexibility is kind of a hindrance. For example, I did a lot of yoga this winter and really felt my knees open up and have a lot more flexibiity. But when I started back up with running, my flexible knees would be too loose sometimes, almost giving out. So with the running, I've increased the strength in my legs (good for running) but with that strength comes a decrease in flexibility (bad for yoga) It's frustrating that they don't work better together but whatever. I'm using yoga poses as a stretching routine after running and that's probably the extent of that for a while.

I'm signed up for the half marathon, a few 5ks and the Bix. I LOVE races. I never once got a trophy for anything in all my childhood, but a few years ago when I started running a lot, I got lots of trophies for placing in my age group. I know they are just chintzy pieces of plastic, but they mean a lot to me. So yeah, I want to add to that collection this year. We'll see. I have a 5k coming up this weekend, so it will be interesting to see my time. My best time ever was 24:23 and I know there is no way I'll be close to that, but I will definitely be competing with myself this year to beat that time.

Okay so there we go!

1 comment:

  1. Running is great! I'm not sure how you eat less when running more. I'm an eating machine when I am running.

    ReplyDelete