Saturday, May 23, 2009

Go Where You Wanna Go, Do What You Wanna Do...

I probably shouldn't feel the need to offer this disclaimer every time, but I'm just writing a blog to keep myself in the habit. Not because I think I have anything significant or marvelous to share. There, I'm done giving that warning. You should know by now if you're reading this that nothing interesting or magnificent happens. You've been warned.

That being said...

I had a moment today that made me laugh, and is still making me laugh when I think about it. I'll share.

I was driving around with the kids in the minivan. I had all the windows rolled down, because it's a gorgeously beautiful day. Anyway, we were at a long stoplight, right next to a car with a bunch of teenagers listening to some very loud rap music (they had all their windows down too, also enjoying the day, apparently). I generally don't have a problem with cars blaring music, rap or otherwise.

I really don't care, generally, but this car was playing a song of the "Fucking-bitches suck my dick, ho-shit-motherfucker" variety. Again, usually I wouldn't mind. These are all words in my vocabulary. But I had the kids in the car, and they are really in a phase where they think bad words are shocking and fun. (This is a phase that will last about 40 years) Because they hear enough fuck, bitch, shit, motherfucker from their mother, they don't need to hear it blasting from random cars.

So anyway, the kids were really way too excited about the barrage of bad words coming from our neighbor, so I turned my music way up high. My song of choice "Go Where You Wanna Go" but 1960's folk rock sensations, the Mamas and the Papas. Mama Cass was completely drowing out the motherfucking bitches stuff.

Now this is why this little memory cracks me up. Upon cranking my music up, the kids in the car turned to stare at me with the most shocked looks on their faces that I have ever seen on any faces ever.It was like a mix of shock and disgust and anger and confusion. Fantastic. Then their driver tried to turn their music up higher, but the sound system on my mom-mobile is pretty good. They were forced to listen to Mama Cass, the whitest white singer possible, whether they wanted to or not. Really, the lyrics of the song are probably pretty close the meanings of their songs---adultery and sex and cheating---it's just that it sounds like a camp song. And doesn't everyone need a little tambourine in their life now and then? They probably didn't appreciate it. Whatever.

Anyway, it was funny to me. Maybe you had to be there.

3 comments:

  1. Emilene, you are CRACKING me up! First, I never would have guessed those words are in your vocabulary. Second, I only wish you had a photo of those teenagers when you rocked them out in your mom-mobile. =)

    FYI - this is Laura Z. from NHS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Laura! I will tell you this: those words were NOT in my vocabulary until I had kids. They haven't driven me to drink (yet) but they do drive me to swear like a sailor.

    I read some of your blog! You are amazingly creative! I will definitely be a lurker and check out all the things you're working on!

    ReplyDelete