Monday, May 11, 2009

Weekend recap

I've discovered in past blogging attempts that if I don't update everyday, then I don't update at all.

So, weekend recap...

On Saturday morning, I kind of accidentally taught a yoga class. This was so unsanctioned and unauthorized. I went to the Y for a yoga class (obviously I love the great yoga studios in the QCA more than the Y, but the Y has childcare) It was cancelled, so I went in to the room to do my own thing anyway. A couple other women had the same idea. So we were all chatting and kind of throwing out pose names and we were all pretty much doing the same thing. But because I'm bossy, I started throwing out most of the names. And then I started suggesting some things they hadn't done before, and they really liked them (firefly, side crow, noose, even headstand---I guess the Y doesn't want the liability issues that headstand might bring) It was a lot of fun, but I told them over and over again that I really didn't know what I was doing at all, and if I accidentally broke them they couldn't sue anyone. Not the most official disclaimer but whatever. It was obvious these Y yoga goers were craving something a little more than the standard Y yoga class so I did some advertising for the awesome yoga studios around here. Y yoga is like the gateway drug for the real stuff...

Then I went to Zumba. I'd never taken Zumba with this instructor before, but my friend Meki used to and said she was really tough. I'd never really heard of a "tough" Zumba instructor before. Like I was talking about the other day, Zumba is pretty much dancing around. Fun and you burn a few calories, but tough? No.

But this lady was like a dominatrix Zumba instructor. T-O-U-G-H. She didn't crack a smile the entire time and did not give one single moment of rest for the entire 60 minute class. I'm usually pretty confidant about my cardiovascular endurance, but MY GOD! At one point I completely felt like I was half dead and everything around just looked kind of surreal. It felt like I was in Hell, being forced to shimmy and meringue for eternity. Satan was blond and wearing a pink exercise bra. It was the hardest class I've been to in a long time and it was Zumba! What?!?

After all that, I took the kids over to my mom's for a bit to visit while I went to the library. I stocked up in the used book sale. I got a fantastic 1980's Richard Simmons diet book (the pictures SO make it worth the 50 cents) I also got this marriage book and when Mario was flipping through it yesterday, he noticed that the previous owner had underlined a bunch of parts of it, and wrote her own comments in the margins, totally bitching about her husband. It was pretty hilarious. But even better was when I realized she had written her name in the cover and it turns out it was one of Mario's friend's moms! If you're going to write all over a book about the problems you're having with your marriage, don't put your name in the front and donate it to the library book sale. I mean, if you haven't already.

On Mother's Day, I celebrated in the best way possible. I escaped from my kids and husband.

I went kayaking for the first time! I went with my mom and my cousin Michelle (K). None of us had kayaked before, but I found this store that offered all these kayaking trips in Galena. They drive you out about 6 miles outside of town, give you a kayak, a lifevest and an oar and pretty much just tell you to get in the river and make your way back into town. We kind of thought there would be guide or a lesson or something, but no. Not really. It was pretty much sink or swim. The lady did give us about a 1 minute lesson, in which she said about 4 times "When you fall out" or "When you tip over..." Agh!

But we did not tip over. It was a lot of fun and very relaxing. It took a little over two hours to get back to Galena's downtown. Then we just handed over the kayaks and went on our merry way! I'm definitely going to do it again.

And this is what I'm really super excited about, and trying to recruit other people to do...this store has a "Mississippi Adventure Day". It's about $90, and it's a whole day of activities. You start out with a kayak lesson (hopefully more substantial than the one they gave us the other day!) and then you kayak for a few hours down the backwaters of the Mississippi. Then you dock, hike up Chestnut Mountain, and do Power Yoga for an hour (or you can skip the yoga and hike around instead but why would you skip yoga?) They give you lunch, then you hike back down the mountain, and they give you a bike and you ride back into Galena. Fun! Who's up for it! My mom has been kind of freaking out about the idea of me kayaking in the Mississippi, but the email the lady sent me said it's pretty beginner friendly so I totally want to do it now. Anyone else?

So that was my weekend! I got some much-needed me time and feel like my batteries are actually kind of recharged for once!

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! It sounds like you had a muy excellente Mother's Day! Yay for the impromptu yoga teaching :) :) You should be a fitness instructor, seriously.

    I'm still freakin' creeped out by the CREEP!! Scary!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to teach a bunch of fitness classes, Ann. I am certified for Pilates, Spinning and Group Exercise. I really loved it---but quit for a bunch of reasons. But I'll definitely get back into it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dude is an Eagle scout and his whole face lit up at the idea of kayaking. I would LOVE to do the whole day thing - I'm in for this adventure over the summer. Just give me enough notice to take the day off work.

    ReplyDelete