Tuesday, August 4, 2009

There's a reason I only give birth to boys

Usually when you think about having kids in an abstract manner, most people think it would be nice to have both boys and girls. No one is ever like "Oh, I only want boys!" or "I'm only having girls!" You know? But you can't really plan it out, what sex of child you have. And that's how I ended up with three boys.

Yes, sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have a girl. I know that having a girl would make for a very different parenting experience for my husband, at least, since having three sons means having three guys who are obsessed with your wife. (Every boy starts out as a mama's boy.) A girl would be nice to have around to play Barbies with, I think. I was a big time Barbie-devotee back in the day.

But you know what? I love my boys and I would totally be a really horrible mother to a girl.

This is how I know. As we were leaving the gym today, we were parked next to a vanful of little girls who were piling out as we were going to pile in. I told my guys to wait and let the girls go first, reminding them "Ladies first". (I am doing my part to add some gentlemen to the male population)

Anyway, as the little princesses passed by, I happened to hear one wee one, maybe 3-ish, complaining to her mom about her sister. I didn't catch most of it, but what I did hear was "I'm so upset because she is hurting my feelings."

I think I probably looked at her like she was an alien. I have never once in my life heard one of my boys talk say "hurting my feelings." And this is how I know I would be a terrible mother to girls. My response to "she is hurting my feelings" would totally be "get over it." I'm so mean. Or, I'm just meant to mother boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment