Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Yeah, I'm not real good at conviction and stuff

So a few weeks ago, I decided I spent too much time at home with the kids, messing around on the computer and I decided I should try to socialize more with the world.

Yeah, I'm kind of done with that. I thought I should try to join a stay at home mom playgroup, but I couldn't force myself to do it. I used to go to this a few years ago, but it really can be torturous to talk with a bunch of stay at home moms. I'm including myself in this, obviously. If I don't get out much, and they don't get out much, there isn't much in the way of interesting conversation, you know? When the only thing you have in common is that you procreated, the conversations always lead back to kids, and I can only take so much kid talk. I'm around kids all day (and I love them, really, despite my complaining.) When I have the rare chance to be around a grownup, the LAST thing I want to talk about is kids. The second most popular topic of conversation seemed to be scrapbooking.

I.DON'T. SCRAPBOOK. I am very passionately anti-scrapbook, in fact. To me, sitting around documenting every event in your child's life with ribbons and glue and sparkles is pretty much the creepiest thing I can think of. My mom got me a scrapbooking kit once, when I was on bedrest. It was nice of her to try to think of activities I could do while I was a beached whale, cooking babies in my belly. I gave it a shot, even. But it was a dismal failure. I pretty much just glued my pregnancy tests and ultrasound pictures in the book. When my sister looked at it, she was like "Yuck! Didn't you pee on these?" Whatever. I. DON'T. SCRAPBOOK.

Other than that, I couldn't really think of any other ways to talk to people. I looked at craigslist, thinking there would be people wanting workout partners and stuff, but yeah, not so much. Oh, there were lots of ads looking for lonely housewives, and I'm pretty sure that if I met up with them they wouldn't want to talk about scrapbooking. But yeah, no thanks, creepy weirdos. Craigslist seriously is comedy gold though. Good lord. There are a lot of freaks out there.

So pretty much I decided that sitting around the house with the kids isn't really a bad option. So while we sit around the house, they play and I mess around on the computer. I tried to stay away from facebook, but just found myself looking at equally addictive stuff...Michael Jackson videos on youtube. (But you already know all about that) Hours of entertainment were found watching very random videos of MJ. Oh yeah, and remember how I said before that I believed my mom's theory that Michael Jackson was castrated? Um, not anymore. I've seen the footage. Totally into girls and totally not castrated. I won't post the link, for those of you that aren't interested in seeing video of Michael Jackson getting a boner (which I would assume would be pretty much everyone except for me)

Craigslist and Michael Jackson erection videos pretty much convinced me that Facebook isn't really that bad of a website to be addicted to.

So I'm back, after---what?---a week hiatus? Maybe two? Conviction has never really been my strong suit.

1 comment:

  1. K's mom just took prizes in every scrapbooking division she entered at the fair. While impressed with her dedication and the recognition of her peers, I share your creeped-out-ness of scrapbookers. I'd rather play with my kid than document his doings.

    You've kept off 60lbs for over a year. That's some stick-to-it-iveness!

    I think I need a workout partner or personal trainer. My water class ends after next week. The distance is a potential deal breaker, though. Is the house across the street still for sale? ;)

    ReplyDelete