Sunday, February 21, 2010

Icemen

I'm totally impressed by my son Dax and wanted to share.

We were driving in the car today and I was listening to John Legend's "Slow Dance"


The very first part of the song is a little guitar solo. Dax said "That's Jimi Hendrix!" He loves himself some Jimi. I'm not so much a fan, but he is crazy about the guy. Dax is my little tripping-out hippie, I swear.

Anyway, I said "No, it's not Jimi Hendrix. It's John Legend" and he just kind of sat back unconvinced.

Anyway, tonight---completely unrelated to Dax's thinking Jimi was playing guitar with John Legend on vocals---I googled "Slow Dance" because it has a very similar backing track to Amy Winehouse's "He Can Only Hold Her" I wanted to compare.



I was curious about who ripped who off (or is it "whom off"? Whatever. Who cares? Or "whom" cares?)So in my research, I found that both songs were a rip off of a 1960s obscure tune by a group called the Icemen

And who was the lead guitarist of the Icemen? Jimi Hendrix.



How impressive is it that a 5-year old can pick out a Jimi Hendrix guitar lick out of a completely unrelated song? Very. Dax is the man. Maybe he is Jimi Hendrix reincarnated.

Edit: okay, I wasn't going to say anything out of propriety, but I can't resist. When I was searching youtube for John Legend "Slow Dance", I had a very interesting result. I won't post it here, but you can go look for yourself.

4 comments:

  1. That is impressive. When does Dax start piano lessons? Hendrix had a very unique playing style, of course, but I salute Dax's auditory discrimination skills and your sleuthing abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He started last week. The teacher said he sat and paid attention the whole time, which is really all she expects out of 5-year olds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dax rocks it hardcore. He needs to get into guitar lessons asap. This can be a story they tell in Dax's first Rolling Stone interview.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dax wants guitar lessons asap. But from what I've read, and been told, it's hard for kids to really take guitar until their fingers are strong enough to hold down the strings, which is usually around 9-10. So it's piano lessons for a while. Jimi didn't learn guitar until he was a teenager, so no rush.

    ReplyDelete