Monday, February 22, 2010

Sweet, sweet revenge

I have discovered a wonderful perk of my taking up piano.

For the first time in the histories of my children's lives, I'm the one annoying them with loud noises while they are trying to watch TV.

I used to be a hardcore TV addict. Now I barely watch an hour a week, for the sole reason that the kids are just too freaking loud that I can't hear anything and/or pay attention without being distracted.

But sweet, sweet revenge...my piano is in the den, which also happens to be the kids' tv room. They have their easy to work tv and dvd player and movies so it's a nice little setup for them. Until I got the piano.

When I practice, I hear little squeals of "Hey, I can't hear my show! Can you be quiet! Can you stop that! I'm trying to watch TV." And this, my friends, only makes me hit the keys harder. I might be a little bit evil, but it's funny.

Anyway, they could find something else to do besides watch TV, so I don't really feel bad for them. (Hold on, wait...I just want to say I'm not one of those annoying "I don't let my kids watch TV" parents. Not.at.all. I have no problem with TV, generally speaking. I watched a ton of TV growing up and I turned out this side of awesome (and modest too, huh?). Mario is the same way. And of my kids, the one who wants to watch the most TV, and would watch it all day long if I'd let him is also the one that has pretty much taught himself how to read at 3, so whatever.) I really don't feel bad for ruining their tv viewing. They can occupy themselves otherwise.

(Hey, maybe that was their plan all along with me? Babies and toddlers are so loud because they want to change their parents' time-wasting TV habits? Maybe?)

Anyway, I realize the joy I get from ruining their TV watching is slightly diabolical, but what goes around comes around, eh?

3 comments:

  1. Hilarious! I am soooo glad I'm not the only mom who lets my kids watch tv all the time and has no problem with it! In fact, I also thank God for it every day. I will forever be indebted to Barney, The Wiggles, anything Disney Princess, Hannah Montanta, The Suite Life of Zack & Cody, Phineas & Ferb, Scooby Doo, etc, etc, etc.

    I'm still waiting for the creepo story. It can't be worse than the guy on the bridge??

    PS - I tried a headstand. It wasn't pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will message you on my creepy creep stories, Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm dying over Story #1!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete